Membership fees support the work of the Unicode Consortium. A portion of voting membership fees funds this general support; all of non-voting membership fees fund general support. As a 501(c)(3) organization, your contribution for general support of the Consortium may qualify as a tax-deductible donation in the United States.
FULL / Corporate $21,000
- Full Membership in the Consortium gives your company or organization the most direct access to information on the Unicode Standard, the Unicode Locales Project (CLDR), and the Unicode Localization Interoperability Project. Decisions affecting implementation and news about Unicode-related products are at your disposal. You are an active participant in shaping future enhancements to these Unicode standards, data, and initiatives, and you financially support the existence and maintenance of the Unicode Web and FTP sites, where updates and changes are posted. As a Full Member, your organization has full access to email lists and technical committee meetings and receives one vote in all technical committees including the right to vote for the board and the right to vote at Full membership meetings.
- Institutional membership is open to qualified institutions of higher education, government ministries and standardization bodies, and 501(c)(3) or similar non-profit corporations of any size. This level of membership allows such institutions to contribute effectively to the technical work of the Consortium. As an Institutional member, your organization has full access to email lists and technical committee meetings and receives one vote in all technical committees. This does not include the right to vote for the board nor the right to vote at Full membership meetings.
Institutional Qualified $10,000
- The benefits of Institutional Membership (above) at a reduced price for Qualified Educational Institutions.
- Supporting Membership is open to companies with fewer than 500 employees and non-profit or educational institutions of any size, allowing them to participate in the ongoing work of the Consortium. As a Supporting member, your organization has full access to email lists and technical committee meetings and receives half a vote in all technical committees. This does not include the right to vote for the board nor the right to vote at Full membership meetings.
Supporting Non-Profit $5,000
- The benefits of Supporting Membership (above) at a reduced price for Non-profit organizations.
Associate for Profit $2,900
- Associate Membership is an opportunity for corporations, institutions, and other organizations that want to support the Unicode Consortium publicly without participating as voting members. As an Associate member, your organization has full access to email lists and technical committee meetings allowing you to contribute to the ongoing development of the Unicode Standard.
Associate for Non-profit $1,500
- The benefits of Associate Membership (above) at a reduced price for Non-profit organizations.
Individual Membership $75
If you are a technical professional in areas of software globalization, software internationalization, or font technology, joining the Unicode Consortium demonstrates your commitment to your field. As an Individual member, you have full access to email lists which allows you to join discussions on the ongoing development of the Unicode Standard. Individual members may participate in technical committee meetings at the discretion of the chair.
Student Membership $35
Students can also join the Unicode Consortium to have full access to email lists which allows you to join technical discussions and learn about the development process of the Unicode Standard and other Unicode technical publications. A valid student ID is required to join at this level. Student members may participate in technical committee meetings at the discretion of the chair.
Discounted Multi-year Memberships
The Unicode Consortium offers special discounted rates for multiple-year memberships at all levels. The table below shows these discounted rates when paying for long-term memberships.
|Membership Term||Discount Rate|
The specified discount rate may be applied when paying for a multiple year term. To calculate the amount of a payment, multiply the standard rate by the number of years, and deduct the percentage.
Lifetime Individual Memberships
Lifetime memberships are available for individual memberships for a fee of $750. If a current individual member has questions about how to convert their membership to lifetime status, they should contact the Unicode Consortium office.